William Paul Thurston: “Mathematics is not about numbers, equations, computations or algorithms: it is about understanding.”
Mr. B. Matthews - Director of Mathematics and Numeracy
- Mr. S. Hodgson – Assistant Head of Maths
- Mrs A. Catterall – Director of Maths SMLT
- Ms R. Hall
- Mr S. Horne
- Ms. F. Lucas-Stokes
- Mr. J. Murphy
- Mr T. Shave
At Reddish Vale High School, our intent is for the mathematics curriculum to be designed to ensure that learners receive a high-quality mathematics education that will: develop their ability to reason mathematically; help to develop an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics; and have a sense of the purpose, enjoyment and curiosity about the subject now and into adult life.
Our aim is:
- To create a journey of mathematical knowledge and skills that builds on prior knowledge and builds a deeper understanding of topics in the mathematics curriculum.
- To raise, develop and sustain students’ mathematical skills, intervening swiftly to help those having difficulty to make sure they keep up, and to stretch and deepen the learning of the ‘rapid-graspers’
- To develop skills and knowledge, so learners have the mathematical ability required for future learning and employment.
- To use metacognitive skills to improve independence and resilience in learning
- To address the school focus of low numeracy levels in order for our students to be more numerate across the curriculum and to be ready for adult life.
At Reddish Vale High School, the mathematics curriculum follows the themes and principles of mathematics mastery, where all students are encouraged by the belief that by working hard at mathematics they will succeed and that making mistakes is to be seen not as a failure but as a valuable opportunity for new learning.
The mathematics curriculum allows students to develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately. This is achieved through developing procedural fluency and conceptual understanding in tandem, since each supports the other.
Please click link below to view the Mathematics Curriculum Overview