Mrs. E. Riley: Head of Department
Miss. A Murray – Second in Department
Mr. G McClelland – Second in Department
Mr. A Allcroft
Mrs C Evans (Deputy Headteacher/Dance)
Mr T Hurst
Mr Goddard (Assistant Headteacher)
Physical Education and sport at Reddish Vale presents a challenge, improves discipline and enhances valuable life skills. Within the department, we create a positive working environment in lessons where pupils are actively engaged, and participation and achievement is celebrated.
As a department, we strive to provide a range of opportunities which allow pupils to experience a variety of activities and taste a broad but balanced curriculum.
The faculty aims:
- To deliver outstanding teaching and learning standards across the curriculum.
- To utilise the excellent facilities to improve the opportunities afforded to pupils.
- To develop a high level of sports skills and knowledge.
- To provide a broad, balanced and differentiated science curriculum to meet the needs of all pupils.
- To develop numeracy and literacy skills.
- To offer opportunities outside the curriculum to enhance the skills and experience of our pupils in a variety of roles.
Key Stage 3:
8% of curriculum time (4 lessons per fortnight) is provided for Physical Education lessons.
In Year 7-8, pupils complete blocks of activity in the following:
Health & Fitness
In Year 9,10 & 11, the choice is broadened with the addition of activities including
Key Stage 4: Options in Physical Education
PE can be chosen as an option at KS4, with two courses offered to exam level. In year 9 pupils have 3 lessons per fortnight.
GCSE PE contains both practical and written elements; pupils are assessed on their ability to perform in a variety of sports, complete a controlled assessment task and sit an exam.
OCR Cambridge Nationals Level 2 Sports Science
Comprises of 4 units 25% for each module. 5 lessons a fortnight.
Module one - Principles of training - coursework
Module two - Body in Action - coursework
Module three - Diet - coursework
Module four - Sports Injuries - exam unit